ADST 8: DIGITAL LITERACY/MEDIA ARTS
An introductory course where students will have the opportunity to develop skills and produce original work in layout and design, graphics and images, and presentations. Digital Literacy/Media Arts 8 will also provide students with entry-level experience in applications of Office 365: word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and e-mail. Students will also learn and practice keyboarding using proper technique.
ADST 9: MEDIA ARTS 9
Media Arts 9 is an introductory course and will involve studying digital media and a variety of traditional art forms such as photography and visual arts. Students will acquire communications skills that are transferable beyond the media arts classroom and develop an understanding of responsible practices related to the creative process.
ADST 9: ENTREPRENEURSHIP & MARKETING
Are you the next Steve Jobs? In this course students will have the opportunity to develop and display their entrepreneurial and marketing skills by participating in a real business venture. In the creation of this venture students will:
- Evaluate the risks and benefits of entrepreneurship
- Develop marketing strategies
- Explore evolving consumer needs and wants
- Recognize the role of online technologies
- Reflect on financial performance and overall business success
- Work effectively both as individuals and as a group
ENTREPRENEURSHIP & MARKETING 10
In this course students will have the opportunity to realize and develop their entrepreneurial skills, by creating their own product/idea. Students will:
- Learn ethical marketing concepts.
- Analyze marketing strategies and techniques including advertising, social media influencing and branding.
- Experience what it’s like to be an entrepreneur; whether they are inventing an idea/product from scratch or adding value to an existing idea/product.
- Explore barriers that various groups of entrepreneur’s face and the factors that can contribute to their success.
Accounting 11 is a valuable course that will benefit students in learning how to manage and account for personal and business finances. This introductory course is fundamental for any student wanting to pursue business after graduation. In Accounting 11 students will explore:
- The role of accounting in business
- Accounting principles and practice
- Accounting equation, debit and credit, accounting cycle
- Preparation process of financial documents
- Financial decision making
- Explore the variety of career paths in accounting and hear from guest speakers.
MARKETING & PROMOTION 11:
In this course students will have the opportunity to create and participate in a real business. Potential business ideas include; food items, Alpha clothing and merchandise, promotion of school events/performances, and more! This is a fun, collaborative, hands-on course that will allow students to see what marketing is all about. In this course students will have the opportunity to manage the school store, LEGENDS. Course topics include:
- Create marketing and promotion strategies to persuade consumers to purchase
- Learn how to build and maintain both an online and physical store
- Target market and segmentation
- Evaluate existing company marketing strategies/campaigns
- Design different forms of advertising, including print ads & commercials
- Understand the risks associated with marketing a product: environmental, financial, and emotional
Tourism 11 is a valuable course for students who are considering entering the tourism industry, one of the fastest growing industries worldwide. Students taking this course will be required to go on field trips to explore unique tourism opportunities. In Tourism 11 students will explore:
- The economic influence of tourism on local and international markets.
- The evolution of tourism, ecotourism, and experiential tourism
- First Peoples tourism
- Online tourism strategies
- Interpersonal and public relations skills
AP MICROECONOMICS 12
AP Microeconomics is to provide a thorough understanding of the principles of economics that apply to the functions of individual decision makers, both consumers and producers, within the larger economic system. It places primary emphasis on the nature and functions of product markets and includes the study of factor markets and of the role of government in promoting greater efficiency and equity in the economy.
AP MACROECONOMICS 12
AP Macroeconomics is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the principles of economics that apply to an economic system as a whole. Such a course places particular emphasis on the study of national income and price determination, and also develops your familiarity with economic performance measures, economic growth, and international economics. Students will explore concepts such as measures of economic performance, macroeconomic theory and policies, and international economics.
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING 12
This is a valuable course for students who plan to follow a career in Accounting or business.
Students will focus on payroll accounting; taxation, inventory control, accounting for tangibles and intangibles, and organizational structures. Students will also explore career options in the accounting field. The curriculum focusses on strategic management decision making skills as well as interpersonal and presentation skills.
This course introduces students to owning and operating an e-commerce business, while applying marketing fundamentals. Students will gain valuable future employability skills such as managing staff, communication and leadership, marketing goods and services, developing and implementing new and innovative ideas. In this course students will have the opportunity to manage the school store, LEGENDS. Some of the main activities/topics include:
- Conduct market research and evaluate existing local and global competition
- Design and implement inventory, marketing, accounting, and personnel plans
- Gain hands-on experience with the evolution and nature of e-commerce
- Learn cyber-marketing strategies to direct traffic to websites
- Explore distribution channels for a digital business
- Create advertisements for print, radio, television and e-commerce
Economics 12 provides students with an opportunity to explore how the economy is structured, the value of money, economics in everyday life. Students will have an opportunity to explore concepts in real time studying real world economic situations. Students will also explore career opportunities in economics.
Tourism 12 is a valuable course for students who are considering entering the tourism industry, one of the fastest growing industries worldwide. Students taking this course will be required to go on field trips to explore unique tourism opportunities. In Tourism 12 students will explore:
- Tourism and hospitality industry career explorations
- Multi sector research and tourism marketing research
- Risk management in tourism
- Hospitality and communication skills for local and international tourists